Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Will of Stephen Bland, Father of Ann (Bland) Elliot

Ann Bland married Robert  Elliot, son of Charles and Lydia (Bailey) Elliot, and Robert and Ann in turn were the parents of our ancestor William Elliot of Toronto, pharmacist and businessman.  Here are some excerpts from the will of Ann's natural or adoptive father Stephen Bland, which was proved in London on January 21, 1811.  The executors were James Bland, Stephen's son, and Robert Elliot, his son-in-law.

"GLORY TO GOD ON HIGH.  I Stephen Bland of the Hamlet of Hammersmith in the parish of ffulham County of Middlesex being of sound disposing mind and memory blessed be God for the same do make constitute & appoint this my last will & Testament in manner and form following viz.  ffirst I desire that all my just debts and funeral expenses be justly paid by my Executors herewithafter named first I give and bequeath to my daughter Ann Elliot wife of Robert Elliot two copyhold houses now in the occupation of Thomas Etherington & John Marbarill ? the (cross or crops?)  land adjoining unto great Church ? in the Hamlet afore with the gardens and appurts thereunto belonging for her whole and sole use independent of her husband and not subject to his control debts or engagements and after the death of my daughter Ann Elliot I give the said houses unto her husband Robert Elliot during his natural life after the death of the said Robert Elliot the above two houses to become the property of John Elliot & Robert Elliot being sons of the said Robert Elliot & Ann Elliot  the said John Elliot to ??? of the said two houses provided the said Ann Elliot should survive her husband Robert Elliot and her two sons...the said houses to become the property of the remaining Sons of her body lawfully begotten share and share alike I likewise give and bequeath unto my daughter Harriot Pontifex wife of Daniel Pontifex silversmith in St. John's Square in the parish of St. James Clerkenwell  two houses or Tenements in short laws in the Hamlet afore. now in the occupation of John (B??k) John Sprawbury subject to the same rules...as my daughter Ann Elliot & Robert Elliot her husband and observing that the said Daniel Pontifex pulls down or causes to be pulled down for....a certain pair of buildings ? by one of Mr. Pontifex's tenants within twelve months after my demise in failure thereof my will is that the above two houses to go to my daughter Ann Elliot and her heirs for ever also I give unto my son John Thomas Bland son of my first wife Elizabeth Bland   two houses or Tenements situate in short laws afore. and now in the occupation of James Bland and Joseph ? for and during his natural life but if the said John Thomas Bland should die without issue then the said two houses I give unto my grandson John Elliot and his heirs for ever I also give & bequeath unto my son Edward Bland two tenements situate in short laws afore. & now in the occupation of Thomas ? and James Hampton during his natural life and at his demise to go unto my son James Bland and his heirs for ever also I give unto my son James Bland two houses known by the name of Bardon (?) plane in the Hamlet afore. and now in the occupation of the Rev. Mr. Raffles & Madame Ann de Ste Hippolite with all & ? of the (provisions?) and appurts thereunto belonging to enjoy & hold the same for him and his heirs for ever subject to the following Restrictions that the said James Bland shall let unto Mrs. Ann and Elizabeth Watts two rooms and the use of the ?? during their natural lives out of the house now occupied by Madame Ann de Ste. Hippolite I also constitute and appoint my son James Bland and my son in law Robert Elliot Executors of this my last will and testament & that my son James Bland shall not be thrown out of his house so long as he chooses to remain in the same paying rent for the same Stephn Bland 
Signed sealed and delivered in the person of us whose names are herein written this twenty-first day of August in the Year of Our Lord 1810.  James Moody  William Duncombe William Newell."  

In this will Stephen Bland names Ann Elliot and Harriot Pontifex as his daughters.  However, it is unclear whether they were his natural or adoptive children.  There is a transcribed letter from Henry Lake, Harriot (Bland) Pontifex's grandson, on the website Char's Broken Branches which suggests that Harriot, at least, was adopted:

"My grandmother was Harriot Bland and she was born in London.  Her parents died when she was young and she was brought up by her uncle, Mr. Bland, who kept a sword cutler's shop at Charing Cross London and supplied the Royal Family and officers of the army and navy with swords belts and Gold Lace Epaulettes...".

This will names a number of other children (John Thomas Bland, Edward Bland and James Bland) and two grandsons, John and Robert Elliot.  It also makes some provision for a Madame Ann de Ste. Hippolite and Elizabeth Watts.  It names a "first wife:" Elizabeth, suggesting that there is also a second, unnamed wife (who likely was deceased at the time the will was made as she is not mentioned).  It does not give us Stephen's occupation but he did have quite a bit of land to leave his heirs, indicating that he was a man of means, which is consistent with the information in Mr. Lake's letter.  I'm hoping that this information can help us find out more about Stephen and his family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment