Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Family Pictures

My mother-in-law very kindly let us borrow some family photos to copy.  Two of these women she could identify;  the third is a mystery.  The elegant woman in lace directly to the left is Mary (Minnie) Scott.  She is the daughter of William Elliot and Mary Oliphant, the wife of John Galloway Scott, and the mother of Arthur Scott.  She is one of my husband's great-great grandmothers.  I believe the lace cap indicates that she is a widow at the time this picture was taken, so that would date it to between 1928, when John Galloway Scott died, and 1937, when she died herself.  If this is correct she would have been in her 80s when this photograph was taken.  She was born in 1846. 

The picture below this is unidentified, although my mother-in-law thinks it is a woman in the Rutherford family (apparently she has the "Rutherford nose").  If anyone can identify her, please let me know.

       The third picture, very faded, is of Minnie Scott.  Born Minnie Davis, she is the daughter of          Adoniram and Louisa (Norton) Davis, the wife of Arthur Scott, and the mother of Edythe Rutherford, (nicknamed "Nort").  She is my mother-in-law's grandmother.  I think she looks very sweet and kind.   She was born in 1871 and I am currently unaware of her death date.  This photo looks like it might have been taken in middle age.  I'm going to see if I can get it restored--I'll repost it when I do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment